EU member states

If you have completed your medical training in an EU/EEA country and are a citizen of an EU/EEA country, you need to fill in the below application form to obtain Danish authorisation, permission to work independently as a medical doctor and specialist registration (if applicable).

A new political agreement, aimed at ensuring a better and more flexible authorization process, is expected to result in changes to authorization fees and in changes to the authorization process for foreign healthcare professionals from outside the EU/EEA.

The rules have not yet changed. This means that the current rules still apply. It is the current rules that appear on our website.

Read about the changes

Authorization Process

If you already hold Danish authorisation and permission to work independently as a medical doctor and want to apply for Danish specialist registration, you find guidelines and application form here:

Specialist Registration Nordic Countries/EU

The fee for permission to work independently is DKK 1,206 and DKK 4,165 for each registration of specialist qualifications.


How to apply for registration as a Medical Doctor:

  • Fill in the application form
    Application form
  • Send the form electronically.
  • Click “Approve" and pay the fee.
  • Send the required documentation by post to the Danish Patient Safety Authority or as attached files by e-mail to

When you send the required documentation, please also let us know in which countries, you have been working in the last 5 years.

If you send documentation by e-mail, please make sure that the scanned documents are of excellent quality, in color and fully pictured.

Required Documentation

  1. Documentation of name, date of birth and nationality (e.g. a copy of the relevant page in your passport).
  2. Name change certificate/marriage certificate, if any.
  3. EU diploma or other evidence of formal qualifications as mentioned in the Annex to Directive 2005/36/EC.
    The Annex to Directive 2005/36/EC
  4. Translation of EU diploma or other evidence of formal qualifications, if any.
  5. Certificate of current professional status/certificate of good standing. The certificate must confirm that you are entitled to practice within your profession (including as a specialist) and that your licence to practice was not withdrawn. If the certificate is not in Danish, Swedish, Norwegian or English, we will – following a specific assessment – send it to you so that you can ask a translator to translate the document.” The certificate must have been issued no more than 3 months before the Danish Patient Safety Authority receives all the documentation. A certificate of good standing shall not be submitted from Sweden and Norway as the Danish Patient Safety Authority will contact the respective authorities.
  6. Certificate of completion of specialist training, if any, from the country in which you trained, as mentioned in the EU directive.
  7. Translation, if relevant, of the certificate of completion of specialist qualifications from the country in which you trained, as mentioned in the EU directive.
  8. A certificate of conformity issued by the health authorities that confirms that you have completed the required training to obtain your qualification, and that this training meets the standards specified in the Directive 2005/36/EC.
  9. Power of attorney, if another person, including employment agencies etc., handles your application. 
    Use power of attorney

Original Documents

If you send original documents, you also need to enclose an ordinary copy of each document. The set of copies must be identical with the original documents and be in black and white. The copies must be in A4 format and without paper clips, folders, etc. We may ask you to present the original documents. Original documents will be returned to you by registered post to the address you have stated in the application form. Please let us know if you change your address.


If your documents are not in Danish, Swedish, Norwegian or English, you may enclose translations into Danish, Swedish, Norwegian or English of the enclosed documentation. You can also wait until we have processed your application and assessed which documents need to be translated. You should, however, expect an extended assessment time if you do not enclose translated documents.

The translation must be made by one of the following:

  • The university or authority that issued the document.
  • A translator. The translator’s name and stamp must appear clearly from the translation. If the stamp is not in Danish, Swedish, Norwegian and English, it must be translated by a translator.


Upon receipt of your application and documentary evidence, we will send you an email to acknowledge receipt of your application for Danish authorisation (please check your junk email folder, since our emails are sometimes delivered in that folder). We will examine your application and inform you of any missing document as quickly as possible.

We process applications in the order in which we receive them. It is our goal to process applications within 4 months from the time we have received all the required documentation. At the moment, we cannot meet that goal in all cases, but we are working focused on reducing the processing time, so that we reach the 4 months.

We prioritize those applicants who are closest to being able to contribute to the Danish healthcare system. The prioritization is balanced between the consideration of the benefit of society and the consideration of the individual applicant.
This means that we will prioritize your application if you send documentation for a specific job offer or, for example, an email from an employer about employment, which requires that you have a Danish authorization.
The priority applies to all applications that have not yet been processed.

Documentation for a job offer is not, however, a guarantee that you will be able to obtain a Danish authorization.
We also make so-called conditional decisions. If you receive a conditional decision, this means that you must fulfill certain conditions before you can obtain Danish authorisation. Should you receive a conditional decision, you will therefore not be able to start your employment immediately.
Our examination of your specific application may also result in your application being rejected.

The Public Online Register of Healthcare Professionals

When you have received your authorization as a Medical Doctor, the registration will appear from our public online register of healthcare professionals. Here you, your employer and anyone interested can see your registration status.

Online Register - Registered Health Professionals

Discontinued Specialities

Registration as a specialist in Internal medicine, Medical allergology, Surgical gastroenterology and Clinical neurophysiology is no longer possible as training in these specialities no longer exists in Denmark.