To apply for registration as a occupational therapist, please follow these steps:
- Fill out the application form.
- Submit the form electronically.
- Click "Approve" and pay the fee.
- Send the required documentation by post to the Danish Patient Safety Authority or as attached files by email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
When submitting the required documentation, please also inform us about the countries where you have been working in the last 5 years.
If you choose to send the documentation by email, please ensure that the scanned documents are of excellent quality, in color, and fully legible.
You need to provide the following documents:
- Proof of your name, date of birth, and nationality (e.g., a copy of the relevant page in your passport).
- Name change certificate/marriage certificate, if applicable.
- Detailed transcript of the study program from the educational institution, which includes the following information:
- Admission requirements
- Total length of the education
- Theoretical education: subjects and lecture hours of each subject
- Clinical education: subjects and duration indicated in hours
- Clinical education: departments and number of weeks in each department
- Certificate of current professional status/certificate of good standing. The certificate must confirm that you are entitled to practice within your profession (including as a specialist) and that your license to practice has not been revoked. If the certificate is not in Danish, Swedish, Norwegian, or English, we will send it to you for translation after a specific assessment.
- The certificate must be issued no more than 3 months before the Danish Patient Safety Authority receives all the documentation.
- Please note that a certificate of good standing is not required from Sweden and Norway, as the Danish Patient Safety Authority will contact the respective authorities.
- If your profession is not regulated in your home country/country of education, it is a requirement that you have practiced your profession full-time for at least one year or an equivalent duration on a part-time basis within the last 10 years.
- Supplementary documentation, if applicable, or any other information that you believe might be important for the assessment of your qualifications.
- Power of attorney, if another person, such as an employment agency, is handling your application.
Certificate of Non-registration
If you are not yet registered within your profession and cannot provide a certificate of good standing, you must submit a certificate of non-registration directly from the competent authority to the Danish Patient Safety Authority.
Certificate of Non-registration
If you choose to send original documents, please enclose an ordinary copy of each document as well. The copies must be identical to the original documents, in black and white, and in A4 format. Do not use paper clips, folders, etc. We may request you to present the original documents. We will return the original documents to you by registered post to the address you provided in the application form. Please inform us if your address changes.
If your documents are not in Danish, Swedish, Norwegian, or English, you may include translations into one of these languages. The translations can be provided by:
- The university or authority that issued the document.
- A translator. The translator's name and stamp must be clearly visible on the translation. If the stamp is not in Danish, Swedish, Norwegian, or English, it must be translated by a translator.
Upon receiving your application and supporting documents, we will send you an email to acknowledge receipt of your application for Danish authorization. Please check your junk email folder as our emails may sometimes be delivered there. We will review your application and promptly inform you of any missing documents.
We process applications in the order they are received. Our goal is to process applications within 4 months after receiving all the required documentation. While we currently cannot meet this goal in all cases, we are actively working to reduce the processing time to meet the 4-month target.
We prioritize applications based on their proximity to being able to contribute to the Danish healthcare system. This prioritization is balanced between societal benefit and individual consideration. Consequently, we will prioritize your application if you provide documentation for a specific job offer or, for example, an email from an employer regarding employment that requires Danish authorization. This priority applies to all applications that have not yet been processed.
Please note that documentation for a job offer does not guarantee that you will obtain Danish authorization. Additionally, we may issue conditional decisions, which require you to fulfill certain conditions before obtaining Danish authorization. If you receive a conditional decision, you will not be able to start your employment immediately. Furthermore, your specific application may be rejected during our assessment process.
The Public Online Register of Healthcare Professionals
Once you receive authorization as a occupational therapist, your registration will appear on our public online register of healthcare professionals. This register allows you, your employer, and anyone interested to verify your registration status.
Online Register - Registered Health Professionals