EU member states

A new political agreement, aimed at ensuring a better and more flexible authorization process, is expected to result in changes to authorization fees and in changes to the authorization process for foreign healthcare professionals from outside the EU/EEA.

The rules have not yet changed. This means that the current rules still apply. It is the current rules that appear on our website.

Read about the changes

If you have completed your dental training in an EU/EEA country and are a citizen of an EU/EEA country, you need to fill out the application form provided below in order to obtain Danish authorization. This authorization grants you permission to work independently as a dentist, and if applicable, register as a specialist. The fee for permission to work independently is DKK 1,206, while the fee for registration of specialist qualifications is DKK 4,165.

If you already hold Danish authorization and permission to work independently as a dentist and wish to apply for Danish specialist registration, you can find guidelines and the application form on the:

Specialist Registration Nordic Region/EU page.

Application Process

Here's how you can apply for registration as a dentist:

  • Complete the application form. You can find the form here: 
    Application form
  • Submit the form electronically.
  • Click "Approve" and make the required payment.
  • Send the necessary documentation by post to the Danish Patient Safety Authority or as attached files by email to

When submitting the required documentation, please inform us about the countries where you have been working in the last 5 years.

If you choose to send documentation by email, ensure that the scanned documents are of excellent quality, in color, and fully visible.

Required Documentation

You will need to provide the following documents:

  1. Documentation of your name, date of birth, and nationality (e.g., a copy of the relevant page in your passport).
  2. Name change certificate or marriage certificate, if applicable.
  3. EU diploma or other evidence of formal qualifications as mentioned in the Annex to Directive 2005/36/EC:
    The Annex to Directive 2005/36/EC
  4. Translation of your EU diploma or other evidence of formal qualifications, if necessary.
  5. Certificate of current professional status or certificate of good standing. This certificate must confirm that you are entitled to practice within your profession, including as a specialist, and that your license to practice has not been revoked. If the certificate is not in Danish, Swedish, Norwegian, or English, we will assess it and provide you with instructions to have it translated by a certified translator. The certificate must have been issued no more than 3 months prior to the Danish Patient Safety Authority receiving all the documentation. Please note that a certificate of good standing is not required from Sweden and Norway, as the Danish Patient Safety Authority will contact the respective authorities directly.
  6. Certificate of completion of specialist training, if applicable, issued by the relevant competent health authority.
  7. Translation, if relevant, of the certificate of completion of specialist qualifications.
  8. Original certificate of conformity issued by the competent health authorities, confirming that your training meets the relevant articles of Directive 2005/36/EC (certificate of conformity).
  9. Power of attorney, if another person, such as an employment agency, is handling your application.
    Use power of attorney

Original Documents

If you choose to send original documents, please include an ordinary copy of each document. The set of copies must be identical to the original documents and be in black and white. The copies must be in A4 format and should not be attached with paper clips or placed in folders. We may request you to present the original documents, which will be returned to you by registered post at the address you provided in the application form. If you change your address, please inform us accordingly.


If your documents are not in Danish, Swedish, Norwegian, or English, you may include translations into one of these languages. Alternatively, you can wait until we have processed your application and assessed which documents need to be translated. However, please note that if you choose not to enclose translated documents, it may result in a longer assessment time.

Translations must be done by one of the following:

  • The university or authority that issued the document.
  • A certified translator. The translator's name and stamp must be clearly visible on the translation. If the stamp is not in Danish, Swedish, Norwegian, or English, it must be translated by a certified translator.


Upon receiving your application and supporting documents, we will send you an email to confirm receipt of your application for Danish authorization (please check your junk email folder, as our emails may sometimes be filtered there). We will review your application and promptly notify you if any documents are missing.

Applications are processed in the order they are received. The expected processing time is approximately 3 months from the receipt of all necessary information and documentation.

We give priority to applicants who are closest to being able to contribute to the Danish healthcare system. Our prioritization considers both the societal benefit and the individual applicant's circumstances.
This means that if you provide documentation for a specific job offer or an employment email requiring Danish authorization, your application will be prioritized.
This priority applies to all applications that have not yet been processed.

If our decision is positive, you will receive an email with your Danish authorization. If the decision is unfavorable, we will inform you of our assessment before making a final decision, or you will receive a detailed explanation for the decision.

The Public Online Register of Healthcare Professionals

Once you have received your Danish authorization, permission to work independently as a dentist, and specialist registration (if applicable), your registrations will be visible in our public online register of healthcare professionals. This allows you, your employer, and anyone interested to verify your registration status.

Online Register - Registered Health Professionals