Specialist registration Nordic countries/EU
If you already hold permission to work independently as a medical doctor in Denmark and want to apply for Danish specialist registration, you need to fill in the below application form. There is a fee of DKK 4,165 for each registration of specialist qualifications.
Registration as a specialist in Internal medicine, Medical allergology, Surgical gastroenterology and Clinical neurophysiology is no longer possible as training in these specialities no longer exists in Denmark.
You need to send the application form electronically and then print the form. We recommend that you fill in and send the application form when you have access to a printer.
- Fill in the application form
- Send the form electronically
- Click "Approve" and pay the fee
- Send the required documentation by post to the Danish Patient Safety Authority or as attached files by e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org
If you send documentation by e-mail, please make sure that the scanned documents are of excellent quality, in color and fully pictured.
- Documentation of name, date of birth and nationality (e.g. a certified copy of the relevant page in your passport).
- Name change certificate/marriage certificate, if any.
- Translation of name change certificate/marriage certificate, if any.
- Certificate of current professional status/certificate of good standing. The certificate must confirm that you are entitled to practice within your profession (including as a specialist) and that your licence to practice was not withdrawn. If the certificate is not in English, we will – following a specific assessment – send it to you so that you can ask a translator to translate the document. The relevant health authority must send the certificate directly to the Danish Patient Safety Authority. The certificate must have been issued no more than 3 months before the Danish Patient Safety Authority receives all the documentation.
A certificate of good standing shall not be submitted from Sweden and Norway as the Danish Patient Safety Authority will contact the respective authorities.
- Evidence of specialist qualifications from the country in which you trained.
- Translation of evidence of specialist qualifications.
- A certificate of conformity issued by the competent authority confirming that the training leading to the award of your medical qualification meets the standards detailed in the appropriate articles of Directive 2005/36/EC (does not apply for medical doctors educated in the Nordic countries).
- Power of attorney if another person including employment agencies, etc. handles your application.
If you send original documents, you also need to enclose an ordinary copy of each document. The set of copies must be identical with the original documents and be in black and white. The copies must be in A4 format and without paper clips, folders, etc. We may ask you to present the original documents. Original documents will be returned to you by registered post to the address you have stated in the application form. Please let us know if you change your address.
Translation into Danish or English
This does not apply to applications from Sweden, Norway and Germany.
If your documents are not in English, you may enclose translations into Danish or English of the enclosed documentation. You can also wait until we have processed your application and assessed which documents need to be translated. You should, however, expect an extended assessment time if you do not enclose translated documents.
The translation must be made by one of the following:
- The university or authority that issued the document.
- A translator. The translator’s name and stamp must appear clearly from the translation. If the stamp is not in Danish, English or German, it must be translated by a translator.
You will receive confirmation by email when we have received your application and documentation (please check your junk email folder, since our emails are sometimes delivered in that folder). You should expect an assessment time of up to 1-2 months, before we have assessed whether your application is complete or whether you have to provide additional documentation. You will not receive confirmation when you send additional documentation.
When we have finalised the assessment of your application, you will receive an email with your specialist registration.
The public online register of healthcare professionals
When you have received your specialist registration, it will appear from our public online register of healthcare professionals. Here you, your employer and anyone interested can see your registration status.