EU member states

Share this content with others

If you have completed your medical training in an EU/EEA country and are a citizen of an EU/EEA country, you need to fill in the below application form to obtain Danish authorisation, permission to work independently as a dentist and specialist registration (if applicable). The fee for permission to work independently is DKK 1,206 and DKK 4,165 for registration of specialist qualifications.

If you already hold Danish authorisation and permission to work independently as a dentist and want to apply for Danish specialist registration, you can find guidelines and the application form here: Specialist registration Nordic region/EU.


You need to send the application form electronically and then print the form. We recommend that you fill in and send the application form when you have access to a printer.

  • Fill in the application form.
  • Send the form electronically.
  • Print the form and sign it.
  • Click “Approve" and pay the fee.
  • Send the application form and the required documentation by post to the Danish Patient Safety Authority.

You can also hand in your application and documentation at the reception at the Danish Patient Safety Authority. See contact information and opening hours under Contact. Remember to enclose the application form including your name and address with the documentation.

Required documentation

  1. Documentation of name, date of birth and nationality (e.g. a certified copy of the relevant page in your passport).
  2. Name change certificate/marriage certificate, if any.
  3. Curriculum vitae, listing your qualifications and work experience in chronological order.
  4. EU diploma or other evidence of formal qualifications as mentioned i in the annex to Directive 2005/36/EC.
  5. Translation of EU diploma or other evidence of formal qualifications, if any.
  6. Certificate of current professional status/certificate of good standing. The certificates must confirm that you are entitled to practice within your profession and that your licence to practice was not withdrawn. If you hold specialist qualifications, the certificate must confirm that you are entitled to practice within your speciality. If the certificate is not in English, we will – following a specific assessment – send it to you so that you can ask a translator to translate the document. The relevant health authority must send the certificate directly to the Danish Patient Safety Authority. The certificate must have been issued no more than 3 months before the Danish Patient Safety Authority receives all the documentation.
  7. Certificate of completion of specialist training, if any, issued by the appropriate competent health authority.
  8. Translation, if relevant, of the certificate of completion of specialist qualifications.
  9. Original certificate of conformity issued by the competent health authorities confirming that the training meets the relevant articles of Directive 2005/36/EC (certificate of conformity)
  10. Power of attorney, if another person, including employment agencies etc., handles your application.

Certified true copies

If you do not want to send the original documents, but prefer copies, the copies must be certified to be true copies by an embassy/consulate, notary public, the police or the authority that issued the document. The certified copy must bear a stamp and signature to confirm that the copy is a true copy of the original document. The authority/signatory must be easily identifiable. Private individuals, employees of employment agencies etc. cannot make certified copies.

Original documents

If you send original documents, you also need to enclose an ordinary copy of each document. The set of copies must be identical with the original documents and be in black and white. The copies must be in A4 format and without paper clips, folders, etc. We may ask you to present the original documents. Original documents will be returned to you by registered post to the address you have stated in the application form. Please let us know if you change your address.

Translation into Danish or English

This does not apply to applications from Germany.

If your documents are not in English, you may enclose translations into Danish or English of the enclosed documentation. You can also wait until we have processed your application and assessed which documents need to be translated. You should, however, expect an extended assessment time if you do not enclose translated documents.

The translation must be sent in the original form and must be made by one of the following:

  • The university or authority that issued the document.
  • A translator. The translator’s name and stamp must appear clearly from the translation. If the stamp is not in Danish, English or German, it must be translated by a translator. The translator must use a band, seal or the like to attach the translated document to the document in the original language.


You will receive confirmation by email when we have received your application and documentation (check your junk email folder, since our emails are sometimes delivered in that folder). You should expect an assessment time of up to 3 months, before we have assessed whether your application is complete or whether you have to provide additional documentation. You will not receive confirmation when you send additional documentation.

When we have finalised the assessment of your application, you will receive two or three emails with your Danish authorisation, permission to work independently as a dentist and your specialist registration (if applicable).

The public online register of healthcare professionals

When you have received your authorisation, permission to work independently as a dentist and specialist registration (if applicable), the registrations will appear from our public online register of healthcare professionals. Here you, your employer and anyone interested can see your registration status.