Application and approval of qualifications
To get your foreign education approved, you must submit an application to the Danish Patient Safety Authority.
Note that applications from dental hygienists who have completed primary qualifications more than 6 years prior to the receipt of a fully documented application at the Danish Patient Safety Authority will be rejected, unless the application is accompanied by a document stating professional experience as a dental hygienist for at least 12 months during the 6 years preceding the date when we receive an application (6-year-rule).
You must fill in the online application form and send it electronically. Then you print and sign the application form and send it along with the documentation of your qualifications by ordinary mail.
- Fill in the application form.
- Send the form electronically.
- Print the application form and sign it.
- Send the application form along with the documentation of your qualifications to the Danish Patient Safety Authority, Authorisation Office, Islands Brygge 67, 2300 Copenhagen S.
You can also hand in your application and documentation at the reception desk at the Danish Patient Safety Authority. See contact information and opening hours on the page Contact. Make sure that you enclose a cover letter including your name, address and signature (or perhaps fill in application form) with your documentation.
Each document must be numbered according to the below list. For example, add number 2 to the documentation of name, date of birth and nationality.
- Documentation of name, date of birth and nationality (e.g. a certified copy of the relevant page in your passport).
- Name change certificate/marriage certificate, if any.
- Curriculum vitae, listing your qualifications and work experience in chronological order.
- Detailed transcript of the study programme from the educational institution containing the following information:
- Admission requirements
- Total length of the education
- Theoretical education: subjects and lecture hours of each subject
- Clinical education: subjects and duration indicated in hours
- Clinical education: departments and number of weeks in each department
- Documentation of at least 12 months’ work experience as a dental hygienist (Only if you completed your training more than 6 years before this application – (the 6-year-rule)). The documentation must confirm full-time employment and specify your field of work.
- Filled in form or certificate from your educational institution. The educational institution must send the certificate/form directly to the Danish Patient Safety Authority. It must be clearly stated on the envelope (or the like) that it has been sent by the educational institution. If the certificate is not in English, we will – following a specific assessment – send it to you so that you can ask a certified translator to translate the document. The certificate will not be accepted if the applicant himself sends it to the Danish Patient Safety Authority.
- Filled in form or certificate from the competent health authorities in the most recent country of work or country of residence (Certificate of Current Professional Status/certificate of good standing). The certificate must confirm that you are legally entitled to practice within your profession and that you have not been found guilty of any misconduct or lack of fitness to practice, and no cautions or conditions have been applied to your registration. If the certificate is not in English, we will – following a specific assessment – send it to you so that you can ask a translator to translate the document. The relevant health authority must send the certificate/form directly to the Danish Patient Safety Authority. It must be clearly stated on the envelope (or the like) that it has been sent by the relevant health authority. The certificate/form must have been issued no more than 3 months before the Danish Patient Safety Authority receives all the documentation. The certificate will not be accepted if the applicant himself sends it to the Danish Patient Safety Authority.
- Supplementary documentation/additional information, if any, of importance to the assessment of your formal qualifications.
- Power of attorney, if another person, including job centres, municipalities etc., handles your application.
Certificate of non-registration
If you are not yet registered within your profession and thus unable to submit a certificate of good standing you must instead submit a certificate of non-registration which must be sent directly from the competent authority to the Danish Patient Safety Authority.
The Danish Patient Safety Authority cannot assist the applicant in contacting foreign authorities, universities etc. in order to obtain documentation. Concerning the certificate from your educational institution and certificate of good standing you are referred to our website where we officially request this documentation. (See links in points 7 and 8).
You must send the above documentation with post in 2 copies:
- Copy 1: Original documentation or certified true copies (black/white).
- Copy 2: Ordinary copies of copy 1 (the copies must be black/white in A4 format without paper clips, folders etc.).
Certified true copies
If you do not want to send the original documents, but prefer copies, the copies must be certified to be true copies by an (any) embassy/consulate, notary public, the police or the authority that issued the document. The certified copy must bear a stamp and signature to confirm in English or Danish that the copy is a true copy of the original document. The authority/signatory must be easily identifiable. Private individuals, employees of employment agencies etc. cannot make certified copies.
We may ask you to present your original documents. The translations must always be submitted in the original form. Original documentation will be returned to you by registered post.
Translation into Danish or English
If your documents are not in English, you may enclose translations into Danish or English of the enclosed documentation (we also accept translations into Norwegian or Swedish). You can also wait until we have processed your application and assessed which documents need to be translated. You should, however, expect an extended assessment time if you do not enclose translated documents.
Translations must be made by one of the following:
- The university or authority that issued the document.
- A translator.
The translator’s name and stamp must appear clearly from the translation. If the stamp is not in Danish or English, it must be translated by the translator. The translator must use a band, seal or the like to attach the translated document to the document in the original language.
You will receive confirmation by e-mail when we have received your application and documentation by post (please check your junk email folder, since our e-mails are sometimes delivered in that folder). You should expect an assessment time of up to 6 months from the date when the Danish Patient Safety Authority has received all the required documentation, till we have assessed whether your application is complete or whether you have to provide additional documentation. You will not receive confirmation if you send additional documentation.
We make an individual assessment of your primary qualifications to assess whether you are eligible for testing. We may ask you to provide additional documentation of the study programme.
When we have finalised the assessment of your application, we will notify you by e-mail if we need additional documentation or we will send you a letter with your documentation. If we have approved your formal qualifications, the letter will inform you about the requirements for obtaining Danish authorisation as a dental hygienist. Please note that this letter is not your authorisation.