EU/EEA nationals

Share this content with others

If you work in Denmark

If you are an EU/EEA or a Swiss national and work in Denmark but live in the UK, you will, during stays in Denmark, retain the right to all the services under the Danish Health Act on the same basis as if you lived in Denmark. The same applies to your family members. 

If you return to the UK at least once a week (as a so-called cross-border worker), you also have the right to treatment under the Danish Health Act in Denmark. Your family members have the right to services under the Danish Health Act, with the exception of planned hospital treatment. 

Whether you and your family members have access to healthcare services in the UK will depend on British legislation.

If you have an E-106 form from Denmark, it will no longer be valid after the EU withdrawal date.

Please contact the Danish Patient Safety Authority for more information.

If you get ill on holiday or during a temporary stay in Denmark

If you are a national of an EU/EEA country or Switzerland but health insured in the UK, you have access to urgent and continued hospital treatment at a public hospital in Denmark, during vacation for example. If you require treatment beyond this, you will generally have to seek treatment from a private healthcare provider at your own expense – possibly through private travel insurance. 

Buying healthcare services in Denmark

If you live in the UK, you no longer have access to buying public healthcare services in Denmark. However, you may be able to buy hospital treatment if you have a connection to an EU/EEA country, Greenland or the Faroe Islands, for example if you are a national of an EU/EEA country, and the treatment is not offered by private healthcare providers in the region. 

You can still buy treatment from private hospitals and a number of authorised private healthcare professionals in Denmark, such as general practitioners or medical specialists, dentists, physiotherapists, etc.